Thursday, July 19, 2012

Homemade Custard

the one thing I hate about making meringue is the wasted egg yolks... so I often make custard to use up the egg yolks because the recipe uses up the left over egg yolks.... I add the egg yolks milk and a few table spoons of cornflour and whisk over a medium - hot heat until thick and creamy... then I take it off the heat and add a few tablespoons of sugar and mix....
I usually have a quick taste to see if its sweet enough and add a bit more sugar if needed...

the one important thing about this recipe and all things custard is it can very easily stick to the bottom and get burnt so its important to whisk the entire time even in the beginning when it feels like it is nice and smooth and runny... but the custard will thicken up quickly and thats the most important time to be whisking because it can burn

and if your not going to use the custard straight away I always put glad wrap over it and push it down against the custard so it doesnt form a skin




No comments:

Post a Comment