Thursday, July 12, 2012

Neopolitan cupcakes

These are some cupcakes that I made a little while ago.... and it all started with the urge to cook cupcakes.. I should probably explain a little... I'm wheat intolerant and I find it really hard to buy things that are gluten free that taste nice and don't cost an arm and a leg.... I have a tendancy to alter 'recipes' that I find or just use gluten free flour when cooking... I do use 'recipes' very lossely because I have to admit I only ever use them as a guide.  I hardly ever follow a recipe exactly and I never measure everything perfectly... naughty I know... and my husband being a chef marvels that everything just works out because in his mind (and especially for desserts) everything has to be measured out precisely.... it could be a little bit of my laziness coming out but who knows....

so for these cupcakes I used a simple vanilla cupcake recipe

200g butter (which I often substitue with margarine)
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup milk (I always used skim milk in my cooking)
2 1/2 cup flour (I always add extra baking powder even if I use self raising flour just to give it a bit of extra lift especially with the gluten free flour)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

as I said I never actually measure everything out and this is expecially true when it comes to adding the flour... I always add a little at a time and work it up to the right consistency....

so after I did the usual cream butter and sugar then add eggs and vanilla extract then some flour then milk then the rest of the flour.... you know the usual.... so then I separated the mix into 3 bowls... the first I added some red food colouring until it was the right kind of pink.... the second I added a couple of teaspoons of cocoa powder and mixed until it was sufficently chocolatey... the last I left...

I added 1 teaspoon of each mixture to a patty pan and gently flattened it out as I added each layer to make sure they were smooth.

I popped them into the oven (160- 180 degrees) until they were nice and puffy and brown....

after letting them cool I made a simple buttercream frosting and added that to them and i had also had a play with some royal icing and made some red icing flowers.....

All I can say is YUM!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment