Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Best Buttercream Ever

I tried some different buttercream recipes and they never worked out right... they were way too sweet and overpowering that it spoilt the enjoyment of the cake and dont get me wrong I love cake but the icing is always the best part of the cake... and overpowering icing ruins it all...


so everyone pretty much has a similar recipe but this is the one I've been using

5 egg whites
1 cup sugar
453g butter (at room temperature)
vanilla essence

mix egg whites and sugar (I usually do it in my kitchen aid bowl to save dishes) over a pot of boiling water until the sugar dissolves and the mixture warms
I usually feel the mixture between 2 fingers to check that the mixture is smooth and not gritty
then I put the kitchen aid bowl on the mixer with the whisk attatchment and whisk on high until the bowl has cooled (which can take about 10 mins)
then I add the butter a tablespoon at a time to make sure it's combined
then I add the vanilla essence or other flavouring
I change to the paddle attatchment and mix until the mixture sticks together

I find it often looks like its curdled then it just all comes together at the last minute

in the end it looks like this:

if its not sticking together in a ball I mix with the paddle for a little bit longer until it does

sometimes I dont need quite as much buttercream so to half the recipe I use:

3 egg white
1/2 cup sugar
226g butter
vanilla essence

and follow the same steps as above...


I have made multiple types of buttercream flavours with this as the base



No comments:

Post a Comment