Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Pregnant Belly Touching

Now that I'm over half way in my pregnancy I'm finding out new and interesting things that I never knew.. I'm very excited to be showing and looking more pregnant than fat

I like that some clothes make me look pregnant while other make me look fat, so I'm still in that in between phase..

The bigger I get the more friends and family have been rubbing my belly.  I can't believe how uncomfortable it makes me feel. I have found myself trying to suck my tummy in when a hand quickly touches my belly or me stepping back covering my belly and quickly saying you can't feel her from the outside yet. I'm even subconsciously leaving my hands on my belly to mean that people won't catch me unawares.. 

The biggest thing that bothers me is no one seems to think to ask before touching my belly.  They just reach out and touch my belly most often catching me off guard.  After talking to a few people about it there seemed to be 2 ways of thinking but most people didn't think anything of touching a pregnant woman's belly without asking and explained it as a way to bond or feel the baby (even though as soon as someone including myself touches my belly my baby stops moving).  While it might be the case for some people to not mind being touched or even love people touching their belly that isn't the case for me.  Not just that but I also felt extremely embarrassed and rude asking people to stop.  

I didn't realise how much anxiety it was causing me until I spent a few nights tossing and turning worrying about it.  So in desperation to get people to at least ask me before touching my belly I shared this picture on Facebook. 


Finally I felt like the weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Although I know this is just the beginning and I'm going to have to remind people because I know they will forget but I feel better that it is out in the open.  I feel like people now know that it makes me feel uncomfortable if they touch my belly without asking.

I haven't had any strangers touch my belly but I hope that when that time comes that they ask before assuming that touching my belly without my permission is okay.  

Has anyone got any good strategies to stop people from touching their belly short of getting a t-shirt with it written on it :P


No comments:

Post a Comment